Construction in the sandpit
Throughout the month of March our planning at the centre was
focused around construction - which I found linked in to what I was learning at
Uni around technology, and what consisted of being technological. As one of my
planned experiences I thought about how I could incorporate technology into an
outdoor set up based around the children’s interests and needs, “the provision
by the adult of a meaningful context in which children could solve technological
problems” (MacNaughton & Williams, 2009, p. 377). I was curious to see how
the age group I worked with (infants and toddlers) used technology and to what
extent. I created a set up in the sandpit with diggers, ploughs, bulldozers and
trucks, then arranged a variety of different sized wooden blocks into
structures, and I ensured the sand was nice and wet so it would be easier for
the children to manipulate and sculpt.
I stood back and watched the children experiment with the
blocks and create different structures, it was fascinating to observe how some
children problem-solved to get their structures to stand; one child laid her
blocks down vertically and used that as the foundation to build on – which resulted
in the blocks not falling over. Another child used a schema and laid them side
by side in a line, placing similar sized block together; I noticed that this
was her developing mathematical awareness. The New Zealand Curriculum (Ministry of
Education, 2007, p. 32) states “adaption and innovation are at the heart of
technological practice” and I witnessed this through the way the children each
used the blocks; all in a varied way. The idea of providing this experience was
for it to be child-centred, in that each and every child could build on their
developing problem solving skills, which contributes to their well-being, self
perception and understanding of their own capability (Ministry of Education,
1996).
Since doing some reading based around the topic of
technology I was amazed to find that the experience I had implemented was
firmly based around technology and using technology to enhance the children’s
learning. Smorti (1999, p.5) states “technology is about solving problems......and
is a creative and purposeful activity”. I have also found that most of the
readings all talk about the importance of implementing technology into the
early childhood setting (Arthur, Beecher, Death, Dockett & Farmer, 2007)
which at first I was reluctant to believe, I still couldn’t get past why it was
so important for infants and toddlers to be in an environment that focused on
technology.
The more I reflect and think about technology - specifically
non-digital technology - I see it in every aspect of the children’s day and
that we as educators encourage technological thinking, without even thinking or
understanding that we are doing it, technology is in every part of a child’s
day and Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa states this
within each of the strands (Ministry of Education, 1999).
I have altered my thinking as now I actually
understand about non-digital technology, I think it is easy to put up a barrier
when as humans we don’t understand something, it is a way of protecting our
pride. But as a teacher in training who wants to provide the best experiences
for the children I work with I comprehend that I can’t think like this anymore –
it’s not about me and I what I want, it’s about what skills, understanding and
knowledge the children require and disserve. So in saying this I will be more
open-minded and continue to read and research around this topic to give myself
the depth of knowledge I need, to then give back to the children.
References:
Arthur, L., Beecher, B., Death,
E., Dockett, S., & Farmer, S. (2007). Programming
and planning in early childhood settings (4th ed.). South
Melbourne, Australia: CENGAGE Learning.
MacNaughton,
G., & Williams, G. (2009). Techniques
for teaching young children: Choices in theory and practice (3rd ed.).
Frenchs Forrest, Australia: Pearson Prentice Hall.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā
mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood
curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington,
New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti,
S. (1999) Technology in early childhood. Early
Education, 1, 5-10.
It was compelling bearing witness to your thought processes surrounding this experience. I felt that through your own processes of self-analysis, reflecting on your beliefs and biases helped you access a qualitative level of understanding. You realised that in order to create meaningful learning experiences you had to meet the children’s needs/interests which included the incorporation of technological into your early childhood setting. It takes an informed and committed teacher to cast aside personally held beliefs on the value of technology in early childhood setting, and upholding the tenets of applying a non-bias approach to the learning environment. I commend you for your dedication and how you expedited your learning in the acceptance and use of digital resources.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that it is intriguing to see that once you are aware of non-technological devices in your early childhood setting you are availed of new learning opportunities that help realise the skills, and creative capacities of the child.
If construction is still the focus of your centre you may find some relevant information to support and inspire your experiences in ‘Creative Thinking and Arts-Based Learning: preschool through fourth grade’ by Joan Packer Isenberg and Mary Renck Jalongo. Chapter 8 contains information about effective resources and states that “construction materials offer endless possibility and support coordination and inventive thinking. The number of pieces influences how children choose to combine pieces and determine when their product is finished” (Isenberg & Jalongo, 2010, p.281).
I love reading your reflections, because we think a like, and have the same or similar views in regards to technology. Like you I shoved technology in a box that I was reluctant to open. But after this course I been forced to open the box and dig deeper into what technology really is. Which has been very interesting, and I am altering my views about technology, as like you say- technology, non-digital in particular is everywhere.
ReplyDeleteConstruction is such as great focus, and there are so many different avenues you can take, maybe you could look at Gonzalez-Mena pages 107-108, to get some ideas of where to take your construction interests.
Ka pai Jody!
I enjoyed reading how you noticed the use of technology when the children were using the blocks and other construction materials. The children showed that they used processes to understand and solve problems making the blocks a viable technology tool and also important in children's co-ordination and motor skills not to mention cognitive development. It is interesting how you have reflected on non-digital technology and see it everyday in children's play as since starting this paper I to have been more aware of children's use of technology within their everyday lives, especially things that I did not once consider to be technology such as building blocks.
ReplyDeleteThe Ministry of Education (1993) states that "adaption and innovation are at the heart of technological practice" (p. 32). When setting up this activity it seems like you had something similar to this statement in mind and in turn the children have responded using their innovative and explorative dispositions, adapting the way they position the blocks in order to steady their constructions.
This reflection shows another great way that infant and toddlers can use technology – non digital in a way that can enhance and benefit the children’s learning experience. I never would have guessed that problem solving was something to do with technology but after reading the readings given in class and your explanation of this, it has made me more aware. I love how building blocks and construction could be a technology – which you have clearly identified in you reflection - well done. It’s great to see that you have altered your thinking and will continue moving forward with gaining knowledge to understand more about technology.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your reflections about non digital experiences. Smorti states “as a learner, my ideas about technology are still developing, and I expect they will change as I continue to research and reflect on what is happening for educators and children as we explore technology in the early childhood curriculum”